Five Ways to Keep Debt Collectors Away
Are debt collectors all over you? Are you finding it hard to repeatedly listen to them calling and asking for money? If you are in this position you know how difficult it can be. Fortunately, there are ways to keep debt collectors away.
Here are five ways to keep debt collectors from calling or contacting you in any way:
- Call and talk to them first. Most people run from debt collectors instead of taking the initiative and calling them from the get-go. Believe it or not, when you show that you are willing to cooperate, it will stop debt collectors from tailing you.
- Offer a settlement. One of the best things you can do to get rid of debt collectors is offer a settlement. Not only will this get rid of them for good, but you may be able to pay off your debt for less than what you actually owe. Before you ever pay in full, you should at least think about making a settlement offer.
- Don’t let it get this far. Okay, this may not be a fair point, but it is one that has to be made. If you don’t want to keep debt collectors away you should avoid getting behind in your bills. In other words, don’t give debt collectors a reason to call and you will never have to worry about them giving you a hard time. This may be too late right now, but you will have another chance in the future.
- Write a letter telling the debt collector to stop. When you do this, they have to legally stop contacting you. The only thing they are allowed to do is send one last letter stating that there will be no further contact. They can also send a notice stating that they or the original creditor is planning on taking further action.
- Do you have the money to pay your debt in full? In this case, you may want to pay your debt in full and say goodbye to the collectors forever. This may not be ideal for some people, but those who know they owe the debt and have the money to pay should consider doing so.
If you are currently dealing with debt collectors you know how difficult it can be. The five tips above are great ways to keep debt collectors out of your life.